Odie’s Finishes are hard wax oils that are made of 100% natural ingredients. It takes just a few easy steps to ensure a brilliant and long-lasting finish for your project.
Stir or mix your jar (Oil Only) well as ingredients may settle over time.
- Tools needed: A non-woven pad (rated above the grit or micron the piece has been sanded to) / A Clean Cotton Terry Cloth Towel.
- Use the non-woven pad to work the product into your project surface. The friction from the application helps drive the product to the surface. Remember: A little Odie’s goes a long way, so don’t overdo it!
- After working the product into the surface with the pad, allow it to set for 10 minutes to 3 hours (depending on the product used and surface applied to). You can wait, but your buff/wipe off may be a bit tougher. Do not allow the product to set for more than 12 hours! This will require a re-application to re-activate the finish for a proper buff/wipe off.
- After waiting for the product to set up, take a clean terry (100% cotton) cloth towel and proceed to BUFF/WIPE OFF ALL the product from your project surface. When your towel has loaded up with product, switch to a new clean terry cloth towel until the entire surface is buffed off clean and NO product REMAINS. If you can swipe a clean finger across the surface and make no mark you are done.
- Cure time for Odie's Universal and Super Duper light oil: most surfaces can be used within 24 hours and can be exposed to liquids within 3 to 5 days.
- Cure time for the rest of our finishes: your piece can be handled almost immediately after buffing however, we suggest you give it a day or two to further the cure before any use. If you know the piece is going to be exposed to water or liquids, we suggest you give it 5 days of cure time for best results. On exterior decks, 4-5 days of dry weather is all that is required.
- Additional coats of Odie’s products can be applied using these same easy steps above. We suggest waiting 24 hours in between coats.
- For Epoxy/Resin projects we recommend using less oil than on wood - follow the same application process.
- For Super Duper Oil and Super Duper Dark Oil wipe, brush, roll or spray on and work into the surface when possible. Be sure to wipe away any excess oil that remains on the surface. Formulated for wood, stone & concrete, clay & brick, metal, plastic.
- For concrete, leather, or metal application- don't let the oil sit, BUFF OFF immediately.
- When applying to concrete, the initial cure is much quicker - in most cases, the surface can be used within 8 hours.
- For repairs or a maintenance re-coat, 10 hours of cure time is sufficient before use.
- We don't recommend the Dark finishes for exterior use, all the rest of Odie's products are excellent for both interior and exterior use.